Monday, June 16, 2008

Men's Health All-Terrain Race


The 12K Men's Health All-Terrain Race was my second run event for the year and probably the toughest and most difficult course I will run this year. The event was held in the countryside of low lying mountains of San Mateo, Rizal, an hour's drive from Metro Manila. The format was a steep uphill climb on pavement on the first 2-3 kilometers, then followed by rolling terrain that includes running on both dry and muddy dirt tracks. Then running on gravel road before going through another uphill run with a scenic countryside below as backdrop. There was also beautiful short run on landscape full of grass and trees before you hit the final leg of the race. Finally, there was the steep downhill race to the finish line.

I thought it was a good race, considering I haven't train for this type of race format. I clocked a respectable 1:08:18 for the 12K all-terrain run. I also finished strong so I'm quite happy with my performance. Those 10Ks I've running last two weeks helps, it build my endurance for those uphill climbs.

Now for some pet peeve. I couldn't decide if I would have been better off using trail shoes rather than my running shoes. I have pair of Merrell shoes that would have been better suited on the trail run and definitely easier on gravel road, but would have been awkward to use initial uphill race (3-4K) and the downhill (1.5K) race since both are running on pavement. On the other hand, those trail run are really dicey, easy to sprain your ankle on those trails. And I hate to ruin a pair of good running shoes. I also had to walk on the last hill climb :-(

Overall, the race was well-organized event, complete with race marshals, water stations every 2 kilometers or so, distance markers along the trail, and bonus points for the scenery, the view was spectacular at the top.
I'll wait for the race result to be posted on their web site.

Kudos to Men's Health for organizing the event and well done!

Coming up next, the Mizuno Rush to Infinity Run event.

Posing at the finish line.



No comments: